This is my go-to salad.
Everybody loves it. Okay, that’s a bold statement. Everybody I’ve made it for loves it. Fair?
It’s colorful, has great textures, and perfect for any time of year. I especially love this salad for fall, with the crisp apples and sweet cranberries, mmmmmmm.
I’ve discovered there are a lot of people in this world who DON’T LIKE TOMATOES! What!!?? This was news to me since tomatoes are like a separate food group in my world. But it’s true, people don’t like tomatoes! Well, if any of you fall into this
weird category, then this is the salad for you!
It’s got a good amount of ingredients, but I promise it’s so easy to make. I think the secret to this salad (and any salad) is the dressing. MAKE YOUR OWN DRESSING PEOPLE! (Sorry for all the yelling) Seems scary? It’s not. It’s easy, and it makes all the difference!
Once you get good at making your own dressing you’ll never buy another store bought one again. Also, your guests don’t realize that they know they difference, but they do. Every time I make my own dressing, I without fail get compliments about the salad. It’s worth it.
It’s as simple as whisking a few ingredients together and BOOM, you’re done. This dressing will stay good in the fridge for about a week or two, so make extra! I also love this salad because although my 2 year old thinks she eats salad (she doesn’t really), she does eat all the ingredients in the salad. So I can give her a deconstructed version of the salad on her plate, and in her eyes she’s eating the same dinner as mommy and daddy! Good trick, I know.
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 apple diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
1) Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly add the canola oil until well combined. Set aside.
2) In a large salad bowl add the arugula, apple, avocado, cranberries, corn, and almonds. Toss with a little bit of dressing at a time (you won't need it all). Add more dressing as needed. Top with parmesan cheese and serve!