Awwwww yeah. This is about to happen.
Tonight is a cornbread and chili kind of night. Best night ever. The good news is I’m only responsible for making half of dinner. You see, my mother-in-law makes an awesome turkey chili that my husband (and I) both love. This is one recipe that I have not and will not try to duplicate. Gotta respect. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
My mother-in-law will often whip up a batch and drop it off at our house for dinner. So we always have awesome homemade chili in our freezer ready to go. However, this poor chili needs a friend… Hence, my kick-ass Comfort Corn Bread (with whipped honey butter, duh).
I’m a serious corn bread freak. I love this stuff, and I will pretty much eat any corn bread in sight, BUT there are very few that make my taste buds sing.
Never again will you make corn bread from a box. And it’s truly as simple as mixing together the dry and wet ingredients.
It’s light, fluffy, moist (there’s that word again, there’s just no avoiding it), and oh-so comforting.
I can’t get enough.
I’ve made this cornbread in a square dish and in muffin tins, but my all time favorite way to bake and serve this is in the trusty ol’ cast iron skillet. For me it adds to the comfort factor, and I love how it looks served right in the rustic pan.
I like my corn bread plain and simple, but feel free to doctor this up with cheese, jalepeño peppers, or whatever else your little heart desires. I’m good with it served as is, or with a little (or a lot) of this whipped honey butter spread on top.
Another super easy and comforting addition to this already home-run dish.
So go ahead.
Go put on your sweatpants, get the fireplace going, grab a blanket and get comfortable.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 pound butter, at room temperature
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square baking dish or an 8 inch cast iron skillet.
- 2) Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- 3) Combine half and half, eggs, oil and melted butter in a medium bowl and mix well.
- 4) Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and using a spatula stir until just blended. Pour into your prepared baking dish.
- 5) Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown or until a tooth pick inserted in the center just barely comes out clean. Please note, if using a cast iron skillet the corn bread will continue to cook once taken out of the oven.
- 1) Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and using a hand mixer whip together until light and fluffy.
- This is best served fresh out the oven!