Just in time for Valentine’s Day.
No need to go out and spend $100 a person for a prix fixe menu at an overcrowded restaurant, when you can stay in the comfort of your own home and whip up this easy, delicious, and nutritious honey glazed salmon for your Valentine.
Remember a few months back over Thanksgiving when I teamed up with America’s favorite trainer Jen Widerstrom from the Biggest Loser? We created this kale, brussels sprouts, and sweet potato salad for you, and now we’re baaaaaaaaaack with this new and improved salmon recipe.
Because we love you.
Now that the show is officially over, Jen is helping her contestants transition back home. Not only has she been getting them set up with a positive fitness plan, but a healthy nutrition plan as well, and we thought this would be a great option to offer everybody!
How many of you watched the Biggest Loser this season? It was such an emotional and inspiring season, and I loved watching the incredible transformation of the contestants. I, of course have been rooting for team Jen from the beginning. So when she had two of her team members as the final three, it was an exciting and bittersweet finale!
Having said all of this, I’m pretty sure Jen knows what she’s talking about as far as nutrition and exercise goes. So I feel super grateful and honored to have her input on creating this dish for me, and for all of you!
Just because it’s a “holiday”, doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice great taste. In fact, this recipe is FULL of flavor, while still giving your body the healthy nutrients it needs.
Salmon alone has so many positive health benefits. It’s an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals, but it’s the content of omega-3’s that puts this fish over the top. What in the world is an omega-3? In short, omega-3 fatty acids contribute to healthy brain function, the heart, joints and general wellbeing.
But what makes this dish so special and suitable for Valentine’s Day is the sweet honey glazed sauce. Packed with fresh ginger, shallot, and garlic, this sauce is top notch and ready to impress.
So go ahead. Whip this up, pop it in the oven, dim the lights and enjoy a romantic evening at home with this sexy salmon. Go wild and serve it with this wild rice with citrus dressing. It’s a match made in heaven.
- 1 pound salmon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup orange juice I use fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place salmon in a baking dish and set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil over medium/low heat. Add the shallot, ginger and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until wilted, stirring occasionally.
3) Add the orange juice, molasses, ketchup, honey, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Keep the sauce at a low rolling boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
4) Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes until it begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
5) Pour the sauce over the salmon and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Spoon sauce over salmon again about half way through baking.
*This sauce makes extra, enough for about 1 1/2 -2 pounds of fish. So you can either make more fish, or save the extra sauce and use it to serve over chicken or meat later in the week!