Holiday party time! And you know what that means, right? Appetizers! Well, cocktails and appetizers to be exact. I’m always on the lookout for fun new appetizers that are easy to make, and fun to eat!
What’s more fun than chopped salad in a cheese cup! An edible cheese cup! YES! I’m so into this idea.
Plus, you can make each component ahead of time and assemble right before the party!
And these salty parmesan cheese cups? To die for! You can really fill them with anything you want. It’s as easy as baking little shredded mounds of cheese in the oven, then draping them over upside down mini muffin tins to form the cups.
- 1 pound block of parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated (about 4 cups grated)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cubed sourdough bread (crust removed) - day old bread works best
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon worchestire sauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick Silpat, or parchment paper. Scoop one heaping tablespoon of cheese onto the baking mat and pat down slightly. Repeat until there are about 4 cheese mounds on the sheet. Leave at least 2 inches between each one to allow for spreading! Bake for 5-7 minutes until cheese is bubbly and just slightly golden.
- 2) Remove from oven and let cool for about 1 minute, then carefully remove each flattened cheese disk and gently lay over an upside down muffin tin to form the cups. If needed, use a paper towel to gently press down on the edges to help form the cups. Let cups cool completely on the muffin tins before removing.
- 1) Add the cubed bread to a food processor and pulse until large crumbs appear. Pour onto a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toast in a 375 degree oven for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- 1) Whisk together the garlic, mayo, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, worchestire, canola, and a pinch of pepper until smooth. Store covered in the fridge until ready to use. This make a lot of dressing! You will not use it all! Save the rest for later in the week!
- 1) Toss the chopped lettuce with a little bit of dressing. Spoon lettuce into cooled parmesan cups and top with croutons! Serve immediately!