I ate an embarrassing amount of food this past week. I literally feel like for the last 5 days I’ve been jumping from one meal to the next, to the next. But that’s kind of on par for Thanksgiving weekend though, right? Eat ridiculously crazy amounts of food, sleep, then do it all over again a few hours later? In your pajamas. And slippers. Duh.
Well, Saturday morning I woke up and realized that real life (Monday) was just around the corner, and I needed to pull myself together. I was craving something healthy and nutritious, something that made me feel okay about shoving endless piles of mashed potatoes in my face the night before (and the night before that).
I’m kind of obsessed with green smoothies. You don’t actually taste the spinach, kale, or whatever other green you decide to throw in. Don’t get me wrong, I love me a good spinach or kale salad, but it’s a whole other ball game to think about DRINKING a salad. Weird concept.
The greens in this smoothie simply supply the beautiful color and nutritious value, but it’s the sweetness from the fruits that make this so delightful to sip.
I decided to throw in some whole flaxseeds. Because why not? Another health benefit without compromising taste.
I’ll save my obsession with tiny things for another day.
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 banana
- 2 cups pineapple
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon whole flaxseeds
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1) In a blender add the spinach and milk and blend until smooth.
- 2) Add the remaining ingredients and blend until well combined.
- 3) Pour and serve immediately!
- *If your banana and pineapple are ripe and juicy, then you shouldn't need any additional sweetener. If you like more sweetness, add 1 teaspoon of honey or agave at a time.
- *If you decide to use frozen fruit then leave out the ice.