There are few times in life when I can hardly look at food anymore.
Until about 10pm, then I’m ready for round two. No, but really, I’m feelin a little overwhelmed by all the Superbowl dips, chips, and snacks. I’m ready to get back to real life feel good food.
And I’m starting with this wild rice and wheatberries dish.
Uh, what’s a wheatberry? They’re cool, and awesome, and I love the texture they give to this rice.
Wheatberries are the whole grain form of wheat, before it has undergone any processing. COOL.
They’re also a high-fiber whole grain that can be used much like any other whole grain. AWESOME.
Throw in some garbanzos, dried cranberries, and top it with a bright citrus dressing to make this the perfect side kick to many chicken, fish, or meat recipe.
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup wheatberries
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
1) Cook the rice and wheatberries in the stock according to the directions on the rice packaging.
2) Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, orange juice, salt, pepper, and honey. While whisking, slowly pour in the oil and whisk until well combined.
3) Once the rice is cooked, pour into a medium bowl and stir in the dried cranberries and garbanzo beans. Pour over the citrus dressing while rice is still warm. Serve warm or room temperature.