Hellooooo January! I know, I’m supposed to be all healthy food this, and green drink that. But I gotta ease myself in after the holidays. So, if I make a broccoli sauce to serve over pasta, that’s healthy-ish, right?
Riiiiiight. Either way, I love it and it’s the perfect quick and comforting pasta dish for these cold winter nights.
Yes, it’s cold in LA!
Like, curl up with a blanket and big bowl of this pasta kind of cold.
Pasta w/ Broccoli Sauce
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, or 1 head
- 1/2 pound short pasta
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add about 1 tablespoon of salt and return to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook for about 2-3 minutes until just tender. Remove broccoli from pot and set aside. Do not drain water. Use the same water to cook the pasta.
- Bring water back to a boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package, about 10 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, make the broccoli sauce. Roughly chop the broccoli and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium/high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chopped broccoli, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Once the pasta is cooked, reserve 1/4 cup pasta water and add the pasta directly into the pan, top with grated parmesan cheese, and toss to combine. If sauce needs to be thinned out, add some pasta water. Serve immediately!
Ok, what are we watching tonight?