- 4–5 hot dogs; beef (turkey or chicken)
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a large pan over medium heat and melt butter. Heat the butter until the foam disappears and the butter turns a light brown color. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
- 2) Pour the brown butter into a large bowl. Whisk in maple syrup. Then add your milk and buttermilk. When cooled slightly whisk in the eggs.
- 3) In a separate bowl mix together the cornmeal, flours, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda and then little by little add to your liquid ingredients and whisk together until combined. Pour the cornmeal batter into a lined muffin tray. Only pour in about ¾ the way on each muffin tin.
- 4) Cut your hot dogs into 3 pieces per dog. Place one cut piece of hot dog in the center of each muffin tin. Place muffin tray in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes.