This Oatmeal Cake is made with ordinary pantry staples that bake into something really special!
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats not instant oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk regular milk or half and half work too
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. Set aside.
2) Blend boiling water and oats until completely moist. Pour into a bowl and let stand while you prepare the cake.
3) Beat the butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and add eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to the butter mixture with the blended oats and mix until combined.
4) Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
1) In a small bowl combine butter, sugar, milk, walnuts, and coconut and stir to combine.
2) When cake is finished spread the topping on the cake and place the pan back in the oven on broil until topping is bubbling. Watch it carefully as you only need a minute or two for the topping to get brown and bubbling. Serve out of the square pan and enjoy!