Moroccan Baked Fish with Chickpeas
Filled with garlic, tomato, and flavorful spices, this Moroccan Baked Chicken with Chickpeas is one of my favorite nourishing comfort foods!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 28 ounces canned unsalted crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 (6-8 ounce) pieces of halibut (could also use sole, tilapia or salmon)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 small handful parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pan (preferably with 2 inch sides), heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Add the sliced bell pepper, a pinch of salt and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the smashed garlic cloves and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and stir. Add crushed tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt, garbanzo beans and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile combine the garlic powder, paprika, turmeric and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Lightly dredge the pieces of fish in the spice mixture. Gently tap off any excess spices and placed spice-covered fish in the sauce. Turn off heat.
Gently cover the fish with sauce and place lemon slices on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove and sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve. This recipe is great served over my Coconut Rice.