Delicious and comforting Healthier Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup made with tons of nutritious veggies! It’s comfort food that will leave you feeling great.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into florets (about 3 cups of florets)
- 1 large head of broccoli, or 2 small heads, chopped including stems (about 5–6 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6–8 cups low sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (plus extra for garnish)
- Preheat a large pot over medium/high heat. Add the oil, butter, onion, carrots and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes until veggies begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the cauliflower, broccoli, 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add 6 cups of broth to start (you can always add more if needed). Most of the veggies should just barely be covered. Bring to a boil then partially cover, turn heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes until veggies are easily fork tender.
- Once veggies are cooked use an immersion blender to blend soup to desired consistency. If the soup is too thick add more broth. I prefer to leave it thick with lots of texture and even some larger pieces of broccoli throughout. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can carefully transfer soup to a blender and blend to your desired consistency. If doing this, make sure to leave space for the steam to escape while blending.
- Once blended, stir in cheddar cheese until melted completely. Add salt and pepper to taste. I added about 1 additional teaspoon of salt. This will mainly be determined by how salty your stock was.
- Garnish with extra cheese, a sprinkle of chopped chives and some crusty bread.