A simple baked hash made with butternut squash, chicken sausage, dried cranberries and fresh herbs.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or ghee), divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 pound mild chicken sausage, casing removed ((you can use any kind of sausage you like))
- 1 large honey crisp apple, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the diced squash on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toss evenly with 2 tablespoons of oil and the salt.
- Roast in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through. While roasting get other ingredients ready.
- Heat a large cast iron or oven-safe skillet to medium/high heat and 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onion, celery and a pinch of salt and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the ground sausage to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while it cooks, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped apples and cook until just soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the rosemary, parsley and pepper and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the squash is done roasting add it to the cast iron along with the cranberries. Stir to combine. (If you can’t fit everything in the skillet, transfer to a larger baking dish).
- Lower oven heat to 375 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy on top.