- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 bell peppers ((see note))
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, (small dice)
- 2 shallots, (small dice)
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1 medium tomato, (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup shredded jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook quinoa in the chicken stock according to package. About 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the tops off the bell peppers and using a small knife and your hand, remove the inner core and seeds. Place hollowed out peppers and their tops in a dish, cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- In a large pan heat the oil over medium heat, add the zucchini and shallots. Cook for 4-5 minutes over until softened. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add tomato and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Add beans and peas.
- Off the heat, add the cooked quinoa to the veggie mixture. Squeeze the lemon over the quinoa and stir to combine. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into pre-cooked peppers and top with a sprinkle of extra cheese. Place the cut tops of the peppers back on, and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.
*This recipe serves 4-6 depending on how big or small your peppers are. I like to make 4 peppers and use the leftover stuffing for other dishes and/or lunch throughout the week.
*I find that the yellow and orange peppers are the most flavorful for this dish. But you can use any colors you like.