Chicken & Black Bean Enchilada Casserole is a weeknight rockstar with Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Colby Jack Shredded Cheese, all the flavor of enchiladas, and none of the rolling!
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (12 ounce) jar enchilada sauce
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 medium corn tortillas
- 1 bag Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Shred the chicken in the Instant Pot or on the stove. (See stove instructions below). Place the chicken in the Instant Pot and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Pour over 1 cup of the enchilada sauce and stir to make sure all sides of the chicken are covered.
- Seal the valve and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes then release pressure. Remove chicken and shred, then place back in the Instant Pot with the remaining sauce.
- Add the rinsed and drained black beans to the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour a small amount of the enchilada sauce into an 8×10 baking dish. Begin to layer with 2 tortillas, chicken and bean mixture and shredded cheese. Continue layering (about 3 layers), finishing with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove and top with chopped chives, a squeeze of lime juice and some diced avocado if you like.
Shredded Chicken on the Stove Top:
You can also use precooked rotisserie chicken and shred it yourself, then just mix with enchilada sauce.
Cut each chicken breast in about 3 pieces, so that it cooks faster and put it in a small pot. Pour Enchilada sauce over it and cook covered on low to medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. No water is needed, the chicken will cook in the Enchilada sauce. Make sure you stir occasionally so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Remove chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.