A light and fluffy cake made with chocolate flakes and dusted with powdered sugar for the perfect simple cake.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated ((I use the large holes on the box grater))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes until fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until well combined.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until stiff (I use a hand mixer for this), then set aside.
- Use a spatula to fold the egg whites into the batter until completely blended. Fold in the grated chocolate.
- Grease a bundt pan and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then flip onto a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.