These Classic Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches will bring you back to your childhood!
For the Ice Cream
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips plus about 2 cups extra chocolate chips for rolling the edges
For the Ice Cream
- Using a stand alone or hand held mixer, whip the heavy cream. Set aside.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla into a large mixing bowl, stirring to combine.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in whipped cream in batches until smooth and combined.
- Transfer to temperature proof container (I just use a loaf pan) and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze about 8 hours or overnight, until ice cream is firm.
For the Cookies (You can make fresh or use any cookie you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Place butter in a microwave safe bowl, heat in microwave until butter has melted halfway. Remove and whisk until fully melted. Pour butter into the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar, fit mixer with paddle attachment and blend mixture on medium speed until well combined.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and place dough in the fridge for an hour or up to overnight.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop out dough evenly into 12 balls. Place on two parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Press down slightly on each dough ball to flatten out a bit.
- Bake in preheated oven about 10-11 minutes (they should still feel soft and slightly under-baked, they will continue to cook slightly once removed from oven so careful not to over-bake). Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag and freeze for at least 1-2 hours or until you're ready to assemble to sandwiches.
To assemble the sandwiches
- Using an ice cream scoop, place one generous scoop of ice cream on the bottom side of a frozen cookie. Place another cookie on top, and using your palm, press down on the top cookie until ice cream spreads to the edges. Use your hands to gently press extra chocolate chips around the ice cream edges.
- Repeat step #1 with the remaining cookies and ice cream, and store in the freezer for another hour or two before eating!