Classic Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is the creamy, rich comfort food you'll want on your table.
- 1 pound pasta (use any short noodle, penne, bowties, shells, etc)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (can use any type of breadcrumb or crushed Ritz crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt to the boiling water then cook pasta according to the package. If you plan to bake it in the oven, cook the noodles for 1-2 minutes less than the directed time, because the noodles will continue to cook in the oven. Drain noodles and set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour milk into a small/medium saucepan and heat over low heat.
- In another large pot melt 6 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly for about 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Whisk in hot milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly until sauce slightly thickens. Turn off heat and stir in all the shredded cheese. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the cooked noodles and pour into a baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and combine it with the panko. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and the crumbs are lightly golden.