This classic Easy Stovetop Lentil Soup is filled with nourishing veggies, warm spices, and hearty lentils!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 3 large carrots, small dice
- 4 celery stalks, small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
Preheat a large pot over medium/high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, 1 teaspoon salt and cook for 3-5 minutes until veggies begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, paprika and cumin. Add the broth and lentils and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lentils are cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley and fresh lemon juice and stir. If you like an even thicker soup you can blend just a small portion of the soup to thicken. I do this using an immersion blender or you can remove 1-2 cups and blend in a regular blender then add back to the soup. This part is totally optional.
- Serve with warm bread and enjoy. Refrigerate leftovers for 5-7 days or freeze up to 3-4 months.