- 3 medium red beets
- 1 cup cooked farro (I use Trader Joe’s 10 min farro)
- 1 large seedless orange (sliced)
- 1/2 cucumber (diced)
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1–2 large handfuls of greens
For the Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 cup basil (tightly packed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Slice off the beet leaves close to the tip of the beet. Scrub the beets to remove dirt, then wrap them loosely in foil. Place the wrapped beets onto a baking sheet and roast for 50-60 minutes. Check the beets starting at about 20 minutes or so. If they are starting to look dry drizzle a tablespoon of water over the beets before re-wrapping. When a knife slides easily into the center of the beet, it’s done!
- 2) Let the beets cool enough to handle. Using a paper towel, rub the skin away, it should peel off easily. Slice the beets into circles, and then in half to create half moon shapes.
- 3) In a large bowl combine the farro, beets, orange, cucumber, hazelnuts, feta, and greens. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette and serve!
For Basil Vinaigrette
- 1) Add all ingredients into a blender and blend on high for about 1 minute, until smooth. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.