The simple addition of kale, lemon, and parmesan make an ordinary pasta into something bright and special!
- 3/4 pound spaghetti, or any pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile heat a large pan over medium/high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced fennel and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until soft and cooked down.
- Once water has come to a boil add 3 teaspoons salt to the water then add the pasta and cook according to package.
- Add the chopped kale to the fennel with another 1/4 teaspoon salt and some freshly cracked pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until kale has wilted down. Turn off heat and set aside until pasta is done cooking.
- When pasta is done cooking, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water and add the cooked pasta to the kale mixture.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon juice and sprinkle parmesan on pasta and toss to combine with the kale mixture. Add a little bit of the reserved pasta water as needed to help loosen up the sauce. Serve with extra parmesan if needed.