A delicious vegetarian lasagna made with brown rice, tortillas, and layers of veggies.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, (plus 1 cup (for the bean mixture))
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper, (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 can (15 oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5–6 whole wheat (or corn tortillas, cut in quarters)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- Garnish with sliced avocado (cilantro, salsa, and sour cream)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Start cooking rice according to package using the broth as the liquid.
- In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion, and red pepper in olive oil. Add a little salt and pepper and cook about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add both cans of beans, garlic powder, onion powder, and about 1/2 – 3/4 cup of stock. Stir over medium heat and reduce until thick and beans are mushy. Add more stock as necessary (about 20 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Start to layer in baking dish. Lay tortillas just enough to cover the bottom, 1 cup of cheese, half of the rice, all the spinach, all the bean mixture, other half of rice, another layer of tortillas, then topped with remaining cheese.
- Bake about 20-30 min until cheese is bubbly and crispy.
- After baking, garnish with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro. Serve with, salsa, sourcream, and maybe a splash of lime.