It doesn’t get better than simple, homemade Sloppy Joes! They’re budget friendly, not fancy and a total American classic. I know you’ll love this homemade version as much as I do!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worchestire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the oil, onion, bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and chili powder and cook for 5-7 minutes until meat is browned.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, Worchester sauce, tomato paste and water. Mix with beef mixture until well combined and a bit saucy.
- Heat a separate pan over medium/high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Place the hamburger buns face down in the pan to brown the inside, about 2-3 minutes. Remove, add more butter if needed and repeat with remaining buns. Serve the sloppy joe mixture on the toasted buns and enjoy.