This simple, comforting, and classic Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken & Rice Soup comes together in minutes and is perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2–3 large carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3–4 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
Add the chicken, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
After 3 hours stir in the rice and continue to cook for one more hour.
After a total of 4 hours remove the chicken, shred it and return back to the slow cooker with the pesto, juice of a lemon and fresh parsley. Stir until well combined and serve hot with crusty bread.