- 12 ounces string beans (Haricots Verts)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup toasted and roughly chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the beans and blanch for 3 minutes, until string beans are crisp yet tender.
- 2) Drain beans and immediately put into a large bowl of ice water. This process called “shocking”, stops the cooking and sets the color. Let beans sit in ice water for at least 2 minutes.
- 3) In a small bowl toss the lemon zest, parsley, parmesan, red pepper flakes, and nuts. Set aside.
- 4) When ready to serve, drain the beans and pat dry with a paper towel. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium/high heat. Add the beans to the pan and saute for 2 minutes or until heated through. Add the garlic and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
- 5) Turn off heat and add the nut mixture and toss well until all the beans are coated. Sprinkle with salt and serve.