- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh berries (I used raspberries and blueberries)
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In one bowl add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Fold in the berries. (This helps the berries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins).
- 2) In a separate bowl add the egg, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- 3) Scoop the batter into a greased muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.