- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- All-purpose flour (for rolling out dough)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- Olive oil
- Torn basil for garnish
- 1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2) Roll out pizza dough into a rectangular shape, about 9 x 16 inches, using a little flour to help if sticking. Spread the pizza sauce onto the rolled out dough. Leave about a 1 inch border. Spread the pesto on top and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan evenly.
- 3) Lift up the bottom edge of the dough and carefully roll it forward into a tight cylinder. Place the roll seam side down, and using a sharp knife, cut the roll crosswise into 10-12 equal-size slices.
- 4) Place the slices, cut sides up on the parchment lined baking sheet. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil onto the edges of the dough and bake until golden brown about 15-20 minutes.
- 5) Once the cheese has melted and the dough is browned, remove and sprinkle with a little parmesan and garnish with torn basil leaves. Serve immediately.