For the crust
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, very cold and cubed
- ½ cup ice water (plus 1 tablespoon if needed)
For the filling
- ½ pound strawberries (quartered)
- ½ pound blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
For the topping
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- A large scoop of your favorite ice cream (I used Tillamook’s Oregon Strawberry Ice Cream)
- 1) In a food processor combine the flour, sugar, salt, and almond meal. Pulse a few times until mixed. Add the cold butter and pulse 5 or 6 times until the mixture resembles course meal, it will look chunky. With the food processor running, pour in the ice water and process until mixture begins to come together into a ball. If mixture seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon at a time of cold water.
- 2) Remove dough from machine and shape it into four balls and slightly flatten into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30-45 minutes, or up to overnight.
- 3) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To make the filling, add the strawberries, blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice into a large bowl. Stir together gently until berries are covered. Set aside.
- 4) Once dough has been chilled, remove from the fridge and on a lightly floured surface roll out each disk into a rough circle about ¼ to ½ inch thick. It does not need to be perfect; these gallettes are very rustic looking!
- 5) On two parchment lined baking sheets, place two gallettes on each. Spoon the filling evenly between the 4 gallettes, and carefully fold the dough over the sides, leaving space for the fruit to show in the middle, and sealing any open edges with your fingers. (If some fruit juice leaks out while baking, that’s ok!)
- 6) Lightly brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with more sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes until dough is lightly browned, and fruit is bubbly.
- 7) Once baked, let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with a large scoop of ice cream topped with sliced almonds. Enjoy!