- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1/3 cup currants
- Hemp seeds for for topping (optional)
- 1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside. In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- 2) In a separate large bowl combine the bran and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the egg and oil, and beat until blended.
- 3) Add the flour mixture to the bran mixture and stir until just combined. Add the currants and fold in gently. Do not overmix!! Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*You can top with chopped pecans or any nut of your choice. I only used hemp seeds in this batch for that extra nutritional boost!