I’m a sucker for a good muffin.
And I’m certainly a sucker for a good, HEALTHY muffin.
Sometimes I’m just not into the whole sweet muffin thing. I mean, most of the time I am, but occasionally I just want to feel really good about eating a muffin for breakfast. You know, because sometimes I’ll have these buttery coffee cake crumble muffins, and convince myself that it’s an acceptable breakfast muffin (which it totally is).
These baby bran muffins are super easy to make, and they’ve got juuuuuuuust the right amount of sweetness from the tiny currants. Have I talked about my love for currants?
Which is so totally weird, because I don’t really like raisins. I mean, I like the flavor of raisins, but I can’t stand the texture. EEEK.
Plus if you glance quickly they kind of look like chocolate chips. I wouldn’t be mad if you substituted chocolate chips in this recipe instead.
My kids also gobbled these up. They’re a great choice to pack for lunches, and easy to grab and go.
In my opinion, a good bran muffin is hard to come by. But I gotta say, I like these.
I like them a lot.
Baby Bran Muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cup wheat bran
- 1 cup almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1 egg
- ¼ canola oil
- ⅓ cup currants
- Hemp seeds for for topping (optional)
- 1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside. In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- 2) In a separate large bowl combine the bran and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the egg and oil, and beat until blended.
- 3) Add the flour mixture to the bran mixture and stir until just combined. Add the currants and fold in gently. Do not overmix!! Fill muffin tins ⅔ full and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*You can top with chopped pecans or any nut of your choice. I only used hemp seeds in this batch for that extra nutritional boost!
Leave a Reply