I’m a sucker for a good muffin.
Sometimes I’m just not into the whole sweet muffin thing. I mean, most of the time I am, but occasionally I just want to feel really good about eating a muffin for breakfast. You know, because sometimes I’ll have these buttery coffee cake crumble muffins, and convince myself that it’s an acceptable breakfast muffin (which it totally is).
Plus if you glance quickly they kind of look like chocolate chips. I wouldn’t be mad if you substituted chocolate chips in this recipe instead.
In my opinion, a good bran muffin is hard to come by. But I gotta say, I like these.
I like them a lot.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1/3 cup currants
- Hemp seeds for for topping (optional)
- 1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside. In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- 2) In a separate large bowl combine the bran and milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the egg and oil, and beat until blended.
- 3) Add the flour mixture to the bran mixture and stir until just combined. Add the currants and fold in gently. Do not overmix!! Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*You can top with chopped pecans or any nut of your choice. I only used hemp seeds in this batch for that extra nutritional boost!