You know what I love?
It’s everything your body craves, with the fluffy whipped potatoes, that sweet creamy texture, topped with a crunchy, crumbly topping. TEXTURE. You know me and texture. I want it all! Smooth and creamy with a crunch.
I’m promise, you won’t even miss the marshmallows. Raise your hand if you’re a traditional marshmallow sweet potato casserole person? Anyone? Anyoooooooone? It’s ok, I still like you. But maybe switch things up this year?
Go ahead, try it!
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raw, whole pecans
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- Dash of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1) Peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Add to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fit a stand alone mixer with the whisk attachment. (You can also use a hand mixer or mix by hand if necessary). Add the potatoes to the bowl of the mixer. Add the coconut milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, cinnamon and salt, and mix for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- 3) Pour sweet potato mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish and top with the pecan crumble. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- 1) Add the pecans, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, flour, and butter to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until crumble begins to come together and the butter forms pea sized balls of mixture.