This effortless and mouthwatering dish combines the sizzling goodness of Italian sausage with the vibrant sweetness of peppers, creating a layer of taste and texture, making a balanced meal! With just a handful of simple ingredients and a sheet pan, you’ll have a wholesome and satisfying Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers dinner for a busy weeknight or for any time you need something quick and healthy.
Sheet pan meals have taken the culinary world by storm, and it’s easy to see why! They offer a convenient and time-saving solution for busy individuals and families who crave delicious home-cooked meals without any fuss. If you don’t own a sheet pan, I highly recommend adding these to your kitchen supplies!
This 30 Minute Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers recipe is a great example of why this cooking method has become so popular. There’s minimal cleanup involved, allowing you to spend more time enjoying your meal and less time washing dishes! I’ve made similar easy meals to this such as my Sheet Pan Panko Crusted Salmon and Veggies for a great seafood option!
Even if you’re just starting your cooking journey as a home chef, you can confidently whip up this flavorful dish. Simply slice the veggies, toss them with some oil and spices, then add the Italian sausages to the sheet pan. Pop it in the oven, and voila! In just 30 minutes, you’ll have a meal that looks and tastes like it was prepared by a seasoned pro!
There are many ways to enjoy sausage and peppers. Enjoy as is, or for a heartier meal, serve it in a hot dog bun, over rice or even pasta. The choice is yours! You can also use the sausage and peppers as a topping for pizzas. With endless possibilities, this dish will become a go-to recipe in your kitchen repertoire!
If you love the idea of this easy dinner, check out more sheet pan dinners such as Sheet Pan Roasted Shrimp and Veggies, Tuscan Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes, or Sheet Pan Salmon with Asparagus and Tomatoes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This recipe brings together the savory richness of Italian sausage with the natural sweetness of bell peppers and the subtle licorice-like notes of fennel for a perfect combination.
- With just 30 minutes from prep to table, this sheet pan meal is a true time-saver. The simplicity of tossing everything on a single pan and letting the oven work its magic means less time spent in the kitchen and more time doing the things you love!
- Not only is this recipe incredibly delicious, but it’s also incredibly versatile! You can use different types of sausage, vegetables, and seasonings to suit your personal tastes.
- With just one sheet pan to wash, cleanup couldn’t be easier!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Yellow Onion – Adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish, enhancing the overall taste profile of the sausage and peppers.
- Bell Pepper (Orange and Yellow) – The vibrant colors of the orange and yellow bell peppers not only add visual appeal to the dish but also contribute a natural sweetness and a slightly crunchy texture.
- Fennel Bulb – Brings a unique flavor to the recipe with its mild licorice notes. When roasted, it becomes tender and adds a delightful aromatic quality to the dish.
- Olive Oil – Coats the vegetables and sausage evenly, enhancing their natural flavors, and promoting caramelization during the roasting process.
- Seasonings – Salt enhances the overall flavors, while pepper adds a hint of heat. Garlic powder infuses a savory note, and dried oregano brings a touch of earthiness and herbaceousness to the dish.
- Italian Sausage – The star of the recipe, Italian sausage! A flavorful and well-seasoned sausage adds a delicious meaty element to the dish.
- Fresh Basil – Adds a touch of freshness and brightness to the finished dish.
- Hot Dog Buns – Optional for serving. Hot dog buns provide a convenient and portable way to enjoy the sausage and peppers.
How To Make Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Peppers
Prepare the ingredients: Wash the bell peppers and fennel, then chop them into pieces along with the onion.
Season the veggies: Add the prepared veggies to the sheet pan, then drizzle with olive oil and dried seasonings. Using your hands or tongs, toss until everything is well coated.
Arrange the sausage: Cut the Italian sausage in half lengthwise. Add them to the sheet pan around the vegetables.
Roast sausage and vegetables: Cook in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the sausage is cooked to an internal temperature of 165F.
Serve and enjoy: Place sausage and peppers into hot dog buns or serve with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!
- To ensure even cooking and consistent texture, make sure to slice the onion and bell peppers into similar-sized pieces.
- When drizzling the olive oil and sprinkling the seasonings over the vegetables and sausage, be sure to toss them well, ensuring that every piece is coated. This will help distribute the flavors evenly and promote better browning and caramelization.
- While the recipe provides a recommended amount of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano, feel free to adjust the seasonings to suit your palate.
- While the recipe suggests a cooking time of 25-30 minutes, every oven is different. Check the sheet pan periodically as it cooks to ensure the vegetables are tender and the sausages are cooked through. If needed, you can adjust the cooking time slightly to achieve your desired level of doneness.
- If you’re a fan of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the seasoning mixture.
- For an extra layer of indulgence, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese over the sausage and peppers during the last few minutes of roasting. Allow the cheese to melt and get bubbly, creating a cheesy and gooey topping.
- Give your sheet pan sausage and peppers a Mediterranean twist by adding some sliced Kalamata olives and crumbled feta cheese to the mix.
- Instead of dried oregano, try using fresh rosemary or thyme sprigs. Simply scatter the herb sprigs over the vegetables and sausage before roasting. The herbs will release their aromatic oils, infusing the entire dish with an herbaceous flavor.
- Customize the vegetable selection to suit your preferences, or make use of what’s in your fridge. You can add sliced zucchini, mushrooms, or even cherry tomatoes to the sheet pan alongside the onions, bell peppers, and fennel.
To store leftover sheet pan sausage and peppers, allow the dish to cool completely. Transfer it to an airtight container or place it in a covered dish and refrigerate. The dish can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing is not recommended as the thawing process will change the fibers in the vegetables, making them soggy and mushy.
Can I use different types of sausage for this recipe?
While the recipe calls for Italian sausage, you can certainly use other types, such as chicken sausage, turkey sausage, or even vegetarian sausage, for a plant-based option.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
You can prepare the vegetables and season them ahead of time. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up two 24 hours. When ready to cook, simply arrange the vegetables and sausage on the sheet pan and proceed with the recipe as directed.
What if I don’t have a sheet pan?
While the sheet pan method provides optimal results, you can still make this recipe using a large baking dish or a roasting pan. Just make sure the ingredients are spread out in a single layer for even cooking and adjust the cooking time as needed based on the size and depth of your dish.
More Sheet Pan Recipes Using Sausage
- Fall Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage and Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Lemony Vegetables and Sausage
With just a handful of simple ingredients and a sheet pan, you’ll have a wholesome and satisfying Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers for a busy weeknight or for any time you need something quick and healthy in just 30 minutes!
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (12 oz) package Italian sausage (or chicken sausage)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Hot dog buns (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and fennel to a sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Toss until the veggies are well coated.
- Cut the sausages in half and add them to the sheet pan.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender and cooked through.
- Serve alone or in a hot dog bun with your favorite condiments.
Keywords: sheet pan dinner, sausage and peppers sheet pan dinner, sheet pan sausage and peppers, 30 minute sheet pan sausage and peppers