It’s finally here. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake you’ve all been waiting for! And yes, it’s worth the wait.
The reason this whole cookie cake came up in the first place was because Ava doesn’t like traditional birthday cake. She turned 5 a few weeks ago and didn’t want a cake for her birthday party. She said she wanted cookies. ???? Immediately I looked into buying a Mrs. Fields cookie cake and was shocked at how expensive they were! I thought, there’s gotta be a better way.
So I scoured the internet for the PERFECT cookie cake, and guess what? I found it. This recipe from Garnish & Glaze was exactly what I was looking for! So I tested and tested and here it is. The easiest, most delicious cookie cake in all the land. With a homemade buttercream frosting if you’re feeling extra fancy.
Many of you know I’m a simple girl when it comes to dessert. I like chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream and of course chocolate chip cookies. This cake has the perfect texture, thickness and taste that any human, kid or adult, will absolutely love.
Let’s talk about the buttercream frosting for a second. Sure, you can buy pre-made frosting, but making it at home is a game changer. The hardest part is remembering to bring your butter to room temperature.
Do you remember my piping hack? You don’t need a fancy pastry bag. All you need is a plastic bag, a piping tip (leave your just-the-tip jokes at home ;), and a glass.
- Cut the corner of a plastic bag. Make sure to only cut a tiny amount so the tip just barely fits through. You want it to stay snug and not get pushed through.
- Place the bag (with the star tip in place) inside a glass, and fold over the edges.
- Spoon frosting into the bag. Seal bag and pipe away!
I used a Wilton Star Piping Tip for this cake and it couldn’t have been easier to use.
Feel free to use whatever sprinkles you like. I used these.
I can’t wait for you to add this cake into your dessert rotation! It’s truly perfect for any occasion. Birthdays, Mother’s Day, Spring Brunch, Summer BBQ and more! Happy easy baking! If you’re looking for more easy recipes, you might like my free 5 Days of Dinner guide that does the meal planning for you. Every recipe in this meal plan gets rave reviews, just like this cookie cake!Print
An easy to make and delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake that’s perfect for any occasion.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar (I like to run through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of any lumps)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
- 1–3 drops food coloring of your choice (optional)
- sprinkles (your choice!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch cake pan. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar together for 2 minutes and then blend in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until combined. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to mix in all but 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips.
- Press the cookie dough into the cake pan until evenly distributed. If using your hands, wet your hands lightly so the batter doesn’t stick. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top and press them down slightly.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Let the cookie cool completely and then run a knife along the edge to loosen. Transfer to a platter. Pipe on frosting along the edges and add the sprinkles. If you don’t want to pipe frosting you can simply spread on top.
- Beat all the frosting ingredients together until smooth, adding milk as needed. If adding food coloring, add one drop at a time, mixing well until desired color. Place into a piping bag and pipe on frosting if desired. Sprinkle on the sprinkles.
Recipe is lightly adapted from Garnish & Glaze.