The most delicious, fall apart brisket that can easily be made in the slow cooker or Instant pot!
I have a confession.
I don’t really eat red meat. There, I said it. Are we still friends?
It’s not that I have anything against it. I’m not a vegetarian, I eat chicken, turkey and fish. It’s just that typically, red meat is not appealing to me. I would rather eat a piece of chicken or fish any day. I’ve never ordered a steak in a restaurant, and I’d choose a turkey burger or veggie patty at a BBQ. It’s just not ma thing.
But I really WANT to like it! I always taste it! My husband is a huge meat eater, and so are my kids and family. So, I keep trying to woo myself.
Guess what? I think I’ve finally done it!
This is the first time I’ve tasted meat and never wanted to stop eating it. It’s the first time I actually understood the OMG face of a true, die hard meat eater who takes their first bite of a juicy steak, or the perfect short rib, or in this case, the perfect brisket. It’s that good. The combination of spices, tangy sauce, and cooked low and sloooooooooow, (or pressure cooked nice a quick), makes this a melt in your mouth brisket that is sure to please your tastebuds. My kids even gobbled this up!
I love using my slow cooker. It seriously makes the best meals, with minimal prep and easy clean up. Here’s the slow cooker I use. However, I’m a big fan of the Instant Pot, especially when I don’t plan ahead.
I’m also totally making this brisket for Passover (like I do every year), and serving it with these potatoes. Actually, I’m making two because I know one isn’t enough.
Seriously, I can’t believe I’m dreaming about meat. I don’t even recognize myself.
Oh, and that rub? All the flavor starts with the rub.
Want to create even more flavor?
Go ahead and apply the rub the night before, then cook it off the day of!
Go ahead. Impress your in-laws.
And if you’re as freaking excited as everybody is about this dish and you need more awesome dinner ideas, I’ve got you covered with this FREE 5 Days of Dinner Meal Plan. Check it out and let me know what you think!Print
This easy and delicious Slow Cooker Brisket will melt in your mouth and fall apart on the plate! It can be made in your slow cooker, pressure cooker or oven!
- 3 1/2 pound beef brisket (not corned beef)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Rub the spice mixture all over the brisket on both sides, then place the brisket in a slow cooker, fat side up. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the brisket and top with the sliced onions, on and around it.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the broth, soy sauce, and ketchup. Pour into slow cooker until the brisket is just covered.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours. Once done cooking, either keep in the slow cooker on WARM, or transfer to a wood board and cover with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the arrowroot powder and water in a small bowl to create a slurry. Pour the slurry into the liquid in the slow cooker and stir. The liquid will begin to thicken after 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the meat against the grain and serve with sauce on top.
Instant Pot Instructions
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Rub the spice mixture all over the brisket on both sides and set aside.
- Turn on the sauté function and add a little oil to the bottom of the pot. Sear the brisket for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. If brisket is too big to fit, you can cut in half and sear in batches (this step is optional, but creates extra flavor).
- Turn off sauté function and place the brisket in a Instant Pot, fat side up. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the brisket and top with the sliced onions, on and around it.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the broth, soy sauce, and ketchup. Pour into pot until the brisket is just about covered.
- Cook on high pressure for 90 minutes, then let naturally release for 15 minutes and release remaining pressure. Remove brisket and let sit on wood board to rest. Press sauté function again and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Whisk together the arrowroot powder and water in a small bowl to create a slurry. Pour the slurry into the liquid in the Instant Pot and stir. The liquid will begin to thicken after 2-3 minutes.
- Slice brisket against the grain, or shred with two forks before adding back to the sauce. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- If you plan to make this in the oven, use a baking dish covered tightly with foil or in a Dutch oven, covered with a lid. Cook at 325°F for 3 to 4 hours or until very tender.
- You can skip the arrowroot slurry step and simply serve the brisket with the cooking liquid and it will be just as delicious!