Easy and delicious coconut macaroons that are soft and chewy on the inside with a chocolate drizzle on top.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, separate the egg whites from yolks and discard yolks. This is easiest done using COLD eggs. They will separate easier this way! Add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Add the coconut and mix until coconut is well coated with the mixture egg white mixture.
- Drop mixture by 1 heaping tablespoon mounds onto prepared baking sheets and shape into pyramids. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips either in a double boiler, or in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring frequently until melted. If you need to thin out the chocolate, add a splash of warmed milk or cream until you reach desired consistency. Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate over fully cooled macaroons. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or covered at room temp for 3 days.