Easy to make, this baked apple crisp is packed full of warm spiced apples and topped with buttery, crunchy oats and brown sugar.
- 4 pounds apples, (peeled, cored, and cut into wedges)
- 1 lemon, (zested then juiced)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oats
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, (diced)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×10 or 9×12 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use a large spoon or clean hands to toss until the apples are evenly coated. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Now make the crisp topping. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar salt, oats, and cold butter. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly. (You can also do this by hand in a large bowl and use your hands to make the crumbly mixture). Scatter evenly over the apples.
- Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten