This Healing Turmeric Lentil & Farro Soup will warm you through. It’s packed with fresh veggies, red lentils and hearty farro!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, (grated (about 1 cup))
- 1 small zucchini, (grated (about 1 cup))
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 5 cups vegetable broth, (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup quick cook farro, (I use the 10 minute farro from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
- Fresh lemon juice
For the garlic breadcrumbs
- 6–8 slices of french baguette, (cubed)
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pot over medium/high heat. Add the onion, zucchini and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin and cook for 2-3 more minutes. You should start to smell the spices toasting.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the farro and lentils and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes or until lentils and farro are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the breadcrumbs. Add the bread and garlic into a food processor. Pulse until the bread is in small crumbs. Pour onto a baking sheet and toss with a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In the last couple of minutes of the soup cooking, add the chopped kale and stir until wilted then squeeze some fresh lemon juice and stir. Serve immediately and top with the toasted breadcrumbs.