If you need a little pick me up or just want a little taste of heaven, make this super easy, joyful, warm-your-heart Healing Turmeric Lentil & Farro Soup.
Right after I had my oldest daughter Zoe I hit a wall. I was EXHAUSTED. I wasn’t one of those people who loved the newborn phase. I wish I did…but I was just so tired. We ended up hiring some help for a couple of weeks. This angel swooped into my house, got Zoe to sleep, and she took care of me too. She made me nap, helped me with feeding, swaddling, bathing…all the new stuff. And she made me this Healing Turmeric Lentil & Farro Soup. I can’t even begin to tell you how this soup saved me. I was drowning, and I think this soup brought me back. It’s just perfect.
Ingredients in Healing Turmeric Lentil & Farro Soup
I’ve changed this recipe up a bit to give it my own twist, but it’s packed with good-for-you, feel good foods. This is perfect to make for your family on a day when you need a pick me up, but it’s also just right if you have a friend or neighbor who needs some love and healing. Look at this ingredient list and you’ll just feel the warmth!
- From the spice cabinet: salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin
- Veggie broth
- Quick cook farro (I love the 10-minute farro from Trader Joe’s for this recipe)
- Red lentils
- Kale or spinach (you know how much I love Lacinato kale!)
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
I had to top this perfect soup with garlic toasted breadcrumbs because they are everything! I promise you won’t regret making a batch. You could also serve it with Comfort Corn Bread with Whipped Honey Butter or a Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing.
Food photography by Ashley Cuoco
More Comforting Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Loaded Veggie Coconut Soup
- Healthier Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Coconut Lime White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Soup
- Seafood & Potato Stew
A healthy and healing soup packed with fresh veggies, lentils and farro.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, (grated (about 1 cup))
- 1 small zucchini, (grated (about 1 cup))
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 5 cups vegetable broth, (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup quick cook farro, (I use the 10 minute farro from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
- Fresh lemon juice
For the garlic breadcrumbs
- 6–8 slices of french baguette, (cubed)
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pot over medium/high heat. Add the onion, zucchini and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin and cook for 2-3 more minutes. You should start to smell the spices toasting.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the farro and lentils and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes or until lentils and farro are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the breadcrumbs. Add the bread and garlic into a food processor. Pulse until the bread is in small crumbs. Pour onto a baking sheet and toss with a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In the last couple of minutes of the soup cooking, add the chopped kale and stir until wilted then squeeze some fresh lemon juice and stir. Serve immediately and top with the toasted breadcrumbs.