Almonds, peas, asparagus, and cilantro make this Herbed Spring Rice Pilaf the perfect side! It’s great for weeknights or entertaining.
- 1 cup white basmati or jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- large handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Rinse and drain the rice in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a small pot with the water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, cover and turn heat to low and simmer. Cook covered for 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Heat a separate large pan over medium/high heat. Add oil to the pan along with the asparagus and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and add to a large bowl. Add the asparagus mixture, chopped cilantro and the juice from both the lemon and lime. Toss well, add salt and pepper to taste and serve as a side or as a base to chicken, fish or steak!