A hearty lasagna soup made with ground beef, mushrooms, and finished with lasagna noodles and 3 cheeses!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/4 pound lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces ((about 4–5 noodles))
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- ricotta cheese
- chopped basil
- Heat a large pot over medium/high heat. Add oil, onion, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add the ground beef and begin to break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pinch of pepper, garlic powder, oregano and thyme and cook meat until no longer pink (about 5 minutes), breaking it up as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Remove meat from the pot and set aside while you cook the mushrooms. If pan is very dry add another tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked meat back into the pot and combine with the mushrooms. Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and marinara sauce. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and add the lasagna noodles. Simmer until noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes).
- Once noodles are cooked, turn off the heat and stir in chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and if needed, a little more salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a scoop of ricotta cheese, a large pinch of shredded mozzarella, a sprinkle of grated parmesan and some chopped basil. Enjoy immediately!