The cool thing about my job is, if I feel like eating something, I create it. And for whatever reason, I’ve had lasagna soup on the brain for months. So naturally, here you have it. Lasagna soup FOR THE WIN.
Believe it or not, lasagna is one of my favorite foods. It’s not something I eat often, and I rarely make it at home but OMG do I love it. It’s my definition of pure comfort food. Why not turn it into a soup? So I did.
I chose to keep it pretty simple, which is how I like my lasagna anyway, but you could spruce it up and add whatever veggies you like, or use any type of meat. I used ground beef, but you could use ground turkey, or even chicken sausage would be great!
The secret to this soup is the toppings/mix-ins. It’s ALL about the cheese on top. Swirling in a scoop of ricotta, and a sprinkle of mozzarella is what takes this ordinary soup to extraordinary. I mean, can you even handle that cheesy goodness?
I love this dish for a cozy weeknight meal (all made in 1 pot), or for a special occasion when you want to impress a crowd or your loved ones. It’s the coziest way to close out 2018. What a year, my friends. Let’s finish strong.Print
Quick and Easy Lasagna Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
A hearty lasagna soup made with ground beef, mushrooms, and finished with lasagna noodles and 3 cheeses!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ teaspoon salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup your favorite marinara sauce
- ¼ pound lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces ((about 4–5 noodles))
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- ricotta cheese
- chopped basil
- Heat a large pot over medium/high heat. Add oil, onion, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add the ground beef and begin to break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, pinch of pepper, garlic powder, oregano and thyme and cook meat until no longer pink (about 5 minutes), breaking it up as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Remove meat from the pot and set aside while you cook the mushrooms. If pan is very dry add another tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked meat back into the pot and combine with the mushrooms. Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and marinara sauce. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer and add the lasagna noodles. Simmer until noodles are cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes).
- Once noodles are cooked, turn off the heat and stir in chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and if needed, a little more salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a scoop of ricotta cheese, a large pinch of shredded mozzarella, a sprinkle of grated parmesan and some chopped basil. Enjoy immediately!
Delicious and so easy to make
So delicious! I’m surprised I’m the first one to comment on this! I feel like this is definitely going to be a regular meal in my house. I changed out the beef for ground turkey (to lessen calories) and left out the mushrooms. This ended up being a pretty low calorie meal! And the portion size was really good! I really appreciate how creative this is as well. So different! Thanks for the great recipe!
Life is but a Dish
I’m go glad you love it!!