This dish is totally versatile, packed with flavor, and makes great leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, (diced)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1 bell pepper, (small dice)
- 1 can black beans, (rinsed and drained)
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Add the peppers, black beans, tomatoes, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the quinoa and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let sit for 5-10 minutes then fluff with a fork and serve with desired toppings. Adding a big squeeze of fresh lime will really help bring out all the flavors!
*You can easily make this dish vegetarian by leaving out the chicken, and using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.