You need this. I need this.
Life seems to get so crazy busy sometimes, and it’s important that we remember to fuel our bodies! This One Pot Mexican Quinoa is the perfect quick and easy meal, even for the busiest day of the week.
It’s totally versatile, packed with flavor, and makes great leftovers.
It’s as simple as throwing everything into a pot, and letting it do it’s magic.
(For more info on the best type of pot to use, check out my guide on the different types of pans & cookware, such as stainless steel vs. nonstick vs. cast-iron!)
Throw in a little bit of green for some freshness and a pop of color, and you’ve got dinner in less than 30 minutes!
This dish is totally versatile, packed with flavor, and makes great leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, (diced)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1 bell pepper, (small dice)
- 1 can black beans, (rinsed and drained)
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Add the peppers, black beans, tomatoes, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the quinoa and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let sit for 5-10 minutes then fluff with a fork and serve with desired toppings. Adding a big squeeze of fresh lime will really help bring out all the flavors!
*You can easily make this dish vegetarian by leaving out the chicken, and using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Grab a fork.