I need help. Is it just me, or is it humanly impossible to go to Target and spend less than $200? (Zach, please stop reading!) Just this last weekend I confidently walked into Target with my short list of three items. THREE items!! That’s it! The girls needed ballet slippers and a leotard, and I needed toothpaste. I was prepared.
I walked in the front doors, head down, blinders up. Then I’m pretty sure I blacked out, because the next thing I know I’m swiping my credit card for $200 and have a cart full of stuff that I “need”.
I don’t get it. Please tell me I’m not alone in this?!
In better/more productive news… I thought of yet another way to use cauliflower rice. I’m obsessed. Cauliflower Rice Paella!
It’s full of veggies (literally), and you truly don’t miss the rice! I can’t even believe I’m saying that right now. Who am I? Don’t miss the rice? But it’s true!
As if I haven’t yelled at you enough about my cauliflower rice obsession. Are you over it yet? I’m not!
Packed with veggies, this one pot cauliflower rice paella is a lighter version you will love.
- 12 shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 12 ounces cooked chicken sausage (sliced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (small dice)
- 1 orange bell pepper (small dice)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound riced cauliflower (about 4 cups)
- ⅓ cup chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Fresh squeeze of lemon
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl toss the shrimp with ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ¼ teaspoon paprika, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Heat a large pan or pot over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and cook the chicken sausage about 5-7 minutes, until browned. Remove sausage from pan.
- There may be enough oil still in the pan, if not, add one more tablespoon of oil, the onion, bell peppers, and a pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat.
- Add the cauliflower rice and remaining salt, turmeric, and paprika, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock and cook until liquid evaporates. Should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peas and just heat through for a couple of minutes. Return the shrimp and sausage to the pan. Turn off heat and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately!
P.S. I didn’t get ballet slippers or a leotard. And I forgot the toothpaste.