There are so many things that are YES about this meal. 1) It’s SO easy. 2) It takes just minutes to prepare. 3) It’s SO easy. 4) It’s SO easy! Aren’t those the best kinds of meals? Quick, easy, and delicious? Let me be clear. The prep is quick… But the cooking is sloooooooooow. Throw everything in the pot in the morning, and come dinner time you’ve got yourself a comfy, cozy, home-cooked meal that’s full of flavor and ready for toppings.
Because isn’t chili all about the toppings anyway? The thing is, this chili doesn’t even need any toppings! It’s perfectly delicious just as is. I’ve eaten many a bowls of this plain, mainly because I just couldn’t wait one second longer to stuff my face.
Look at those beautiful fall colors! By that way, I haven’t complained in the last couple of posts about how miserable the weather still is here. It’s still in the 90’s people!! UGH. I’m so angry about it. I check that little weather app at least ten times a day, hoping and wishing for that little rain cloud picture, or even just a number lower than 8!! You’re killin’ me Smalls! (Sandlot style)
Ok, maybe I’m crazy. This heat is making me crazy! Alright, I’m done complaining. For now.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato & Chicken Chili
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Red pepper flakes
- Lightly spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all of the ingredients into the pot and mix gently as best as you can. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours, or on LOW for 7-8 hours, until sweet potatoes are soft, and chicken is cooked through. In the last hour of cooking, take two forks and shred the chicken breasts right in the pot. Serve plain, or with toppings and enjoy!
- Instant Pot Directions: Only use 1 cup of chicken stock, and a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes. The rest of the ingredients are the same. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and quick release pressure.