Okay, so I’m pretty sure I haven’t told you yet. Zach is currently in China.
Zach is currently in China for eight days.
Zach is currently in China for eight days and left me with both kids.
Zach is currently in China for eight days and left me with both kids over spring break.
And you know what? I’m doing ok! I’m totally that person who has A LOT of anxiety prior to a trip. It takes me 3 weeks to pack, I make 500 lists, and I pretty much can’t concentrate on life for the five days leading up to it. And for some reason, even though I wasn’t even going on this trip, I was feeling all those things leading up to his departure.
While I would much rather have him home, I’m pleasantly surprised at my lack of meltdowns thus far. Granted its only been three days. I know, I’m being a baby. Spouses travel aaaaaaaall the time, I get it. Typically, I just don’t do well with it. Maybe it’s my type A personality shining through, but it throws off my game, people! Anyways, it’s not like he’s in China for SPRING BREAK BABY!!!! I mean, technically it’s spring break, but he’s there for school. Zach is getting his MBA at UCLA (yay, honey!) and going to China for a week will knock off enough credits to count for an entire class for a quarter! #WorthIt.
Plus, it’s kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Blah, blah, blah…
Back at home I was craving something super springy.
I don’t know what happened?! March 20th rolled along and BAM. I immediately wanted all the spring salads everywhere. And so, I give you this.
I mean seriously. Do you not just want to dig right in?? SO refreshing, so green, so satisfying! Loving this you guys! I made it a full meal by adding some grilled chicken on top.
Winning at salad life.
Spring Pasta Salad w/ Asparagus, Peas, & Greens
- 2 cups short pasta gluten free, whole wheat, brown rice, whatever you like!
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 6-7 cups greens I used arugula, but can use spinach, kale, or a mixture of all!
- Shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
- 2 grilled chicken breasts thinly sliced (optional)
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add 3 large pinches of salt and pour in the pasta. Cook until done according to package.
- 2) Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Once the pasta is cooked, remove it from the pot and set aside in a bowl (but keep the pasta water boiling, you will reuse it for the veggies). Add a little bit of dressing to the warm pasta, and toss to coat.
- 3) When the water is boiling again add the asparagus and peas and cook for 2 minutes. While the veggies are cooking, prepare an ice bath. Fill a large bowl with cold water and a few handfuls of ice.
- 4) When veggies are done cooking, remove from water and place immediately into ice bath. This will help stop the cooking and set the bright green color! Let sit for a few minutes, then drain.
- 5) In a large salad bowl add the greens, almonds, asparagus, peas, and pasta and toss to coat with the dressing, Top with grilled chicken and parmesan shavings if desired and serve immediately!
Sorry honey, there’s no leftovers.