Looking for a hearty meal that is healthy and satifying? This Ground Chicken Chili Recipe with Beans is the real deal! Quick to whip up and packed with protein, this chili is made with simple ingredients and is ready for dinner in just 30 minutes!
As an experienced home chef, a good chili is on our dinner menu many nights. While there are countless variations to make chili, this ground chicken chili is one of the best. Ditching the traditional beef, ground chicken lightens the dish, offering a lean protein base that absorbs and enhances the flavors. The fire-roasted tomatoes introduce a smoky depth, while the cannellini beans bring creaminess, rounding it all out.
One of my favorite ways to brighten up chicken chili is by using fresh lime juice right at the end. This gives it a well-rounded, bright flavor that brings everything together!
Not only does this easy dinner taste delicious, but it’s also ready in just 30 minutes, making this a great recipe to have on hand when you have a busy week ahead. Start by sautéing your veggies and ground chicken, and just let everything mingle until the chicken is all cooked through. Pour in those fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, and green chilis and give it a stir. In about 15 minutes you’ve got chili magic happening. It’s that simple — a flavor-packed chili that didn’t take all day to make!
Hosting a casual get-together game night or needing a simple family dinner? This ground chicken chili has you covered. Pair it with some crusty bread, spoon over rice, or with a side of tortilla chips for that extra crunch. Top it off with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, or sliced avocado for that gourmet touch. If you enjoy making chili, you’ll also love making my Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili, Ground Beef Chili, or Creamy White Chicken Chili!
What Makes This Recipe Special
- Ready in just 30 minutes, this ground chicken chili is perfect for those hectic days when you’re craving something delicious but pressed for time.
- Packed with lean protein from the chicken and fiber from the beans, it’s a meal that fills you up in a healthy way, keeping you satisfied longer.
- Whether you like it spicy, smoky, or mild, you can easily tweak the ingredients to match your personal tastes.
- It tastes even better the next day, making for stress-free meal prep throughout the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive Oil – Provides fat to sauté the vegetables and brown the chicken.
- Onion and Garlic – Offers depth of flavor, creating an aromatic base that complements the rest of the ingredients.
- Bell Peppers – Adds a sweet, slightly tangy crunch, enhancing the color of the dish and the nutritional profile.
- Ground Chicken – A leaner alternative to beef, ground chicken absorbs the surrounding flavors beautifully while keeping the chili lighter, giving it a protein boost.
- Chili Seasoning (chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt) – The heart of the chili’s flavor, this blend marries smoky, spicy, and savory notes, bringing depth and complexity to the dish.
- Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes – Introduces a smoky undertone and a tangy twist, while their juices give the necessary liquid component.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth – Always use low sodium broth so you can control the amount of salt in your dish.
- Cannellini Beans – Contributes a creamy texture and a hearty filling, balancing the chili’s spice profile.
- Diced Green Chilis – Brings a zesty spark, elevating the heat and complexity of the chili with its bright taste.
- Fresh Lime Juice – Fresh lime juice cuts through the chili’s richness, providing a citrusy zing that brightens the whole dish and ties the flavors together beautifully.
How To Make Ground Chicken Chili With Beans
Soften the vegetables: Put a large pot on the stovetop and add the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
Cook the ground chicken: To the pot with the softened vegetables, add the ground chicken and chili seasonings. Saute for 5-7 minutes, breaking up the chicken while cooking it.
Simmer the chili: Add in the canned tomatoes, chicken broth, drained beans, and green chilis. Turn the heat to lower to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Once the heat is off, squeeze in the juice of one fresh lime.
Garnish and serve: While hot, ladle into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Cut your bell peppers into uniform sizes to ensure they cook evenly.
- While browning the ground chicken, break it into small, even chunks with a spoon or spatula, which will help it integrate better with the other ingredients.
- When adding your spices, do it before the liquid ingredients; the direct heat helps to activate the oils in the dry spices, releasing more flavor.
- If you’re using canned beans, always rinse them thoroughly to remove the starchy liquid and any excess sodium before adding them to your pot.
- Allow the chili to simmer uncovered, letting the liquid reduce to intensify the flavors and reach your desired consistency.
- The lime juice is best added at the end of the cooking process to preserve its fresh and tangy flavor profile, which can cook off with prolonged heating.
- Taste as you cook, adjusting the seasoning as needed; personal preference plays a big role in the perfect chili.
- For a vegetarian twist, skip the chicken and add an extra can of varied beans (like kidney or black beans) or even lentils for protein.
- If ground chicken isn’t available, feel free to substitute with ground turkey, beef, or even a plant-based ground meat alternative.
- Add a chopped jalapeño or a dash of cayenne pepper during the sautéing phase to dial up the heat and add an extra layer of flavor.
- Incorporate extra veggies like zucchini or corn for added nutrition and texture, making the chili even more wholesome and filling.
- If you’re out of fresh lime, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar can also add that bright, tangy note that lifts the dish at the end.
- Chili topping ideas: Elevate your chili experience with toppings. Use shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, crumbled tortilla chips, a slice of lime, jalapeño slices, diced tomatoes, or a dollop of guacamole.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: To store the chili, let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Reheat thoroughly on the stovetop or in a microwave.
Freezing: Portion the cooled chili into freezer-safe bags or containers, leaving some space at the top as the chili may expand slightly when frozen. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or using the defrost setting on your microwave before reheating and serving.
What if I don’t have canned fire-roasted tomatoes?
You can use regular canned diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes that have been diced, although the flavor profile may change slightly, lacking the smoky element that fire-roasted tomatoes provide.
Is it possible to make this chili in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this chili in a slow cooker. First, brown the chicken and sauté the vegetables as instructed, then transfer everything to the slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients, and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
More 30 Minute Dinner Recipes
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- Turkey Taco Rice Skillet
- Kitchen Sink Veggie Soup
Looking for a hearty meal that is healthy and satisfying? This Ground Chicken Chili Recipe with Beans is the real deal! Quick to whip up and packed with protein, this chili is made with simple ingredients and is ready for dinner in just 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 (14 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilis
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat a large pot over medium/high heat. Add the oil, onion, bell peppers, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the ground chicken, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and salt and cook for 5-7 minutes, breaking up the meat while cooking.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, beans and diced green chilis and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and squeeze in the juice of one lime.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as cheese, tortilla chips and avocado.
Keywords: ground chicken chili, chili with ground chicken, ground chicken chili with beans, 30 minute chicken chili, chicken chili in 30 minutes