Date night in? I think so. For those of you who don’t care to venture out on Valentine’s Day for a fancy dinner, this dish is for you.
It’s hard to beat a bowl full of creamy deliciousness, and there’s nothing like a home cooked meal to warm your sweeties heart (and belly). This easy baked brown rice risotto will change your risotto ways forever.
We all know the time and effort it typically takes to make risotto on the stove top. Stir and stir and stir and stir and stir!
Well stir no more! Actually, maybe a little. But I promise, you won’t be slaving over a hot stove.
Can we talk about the beauty of this red chard?? I’m dying over here. I just couldn’t resist that red!
The combination of the chard and the sweet potato is out of this world. Healthy and delicious!
Once the rice is cooked (in the oven!), simply stir in the toppings, pour some wine, and date night in is set!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (divided)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or just use vegetable stock)
- 3/4 cup brown arborio rice/short-grain brown rice
- 1 small sweet potato (peeled and diced small)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cup chopped red chard (about 2–3 large leaves with stems removed)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh oregano for garnish
- 1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2) Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes, then add the minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- 3) Add 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock, and the wine and cover. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Remove from heat and stir in the rice. Cover the pot and bake until rice is tender and cooked through, about 65 to 70 minutes. It might seem dry when you take off the lid, but that’s ok!
- 3) During the last 20 minutes of baking time, prepare the sweet potato and chard mixture. Warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes with a pinch of salt. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until potatoes are slightly browned and cooked through. If potatoes begin to brown too much before they’re cooked, or if they start to stick, just add a splash of stock to the pan. Once cooked, add the chopped chard to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, until just wilted.
- 4) Remove the pot from the oven. Pour in the remaining 3/4 cup of broth, the parmesan cheese, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy. Stir in the sweet potato and chard mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide into bowls and top with torn, fresh oregano leaves.
Adapted from Cookie + Kate
Now, what’s for dessert?