Who am I? Can you believe that this is the first recipe I’ve ever made using only chicken thighs? I’m typically a chicken breast kind of girl, but I must be in the holiday spirit or something because I was feeling crazy and wanted to mix it up a bit and man-oh-man I’m glad I did! Let’s just say, I understand why people love chicken thighs. Just wait until you try these guys though. ????
This season is all about making dishes to dip things in, am I right? Like, I want a healthy and comforting dish that I can soak up the sauce with a big ol’ piece of bread because well, bread is life.
BREAD IS LIFE.
For sure if I could only have one food for the rest of my life it would be bread. Especially this time of year.
While I’m fully capable of baking my own bread, I don’t do it often. Mainly because I’ll eat the entire loaf, or I’m lazy and don’t feel like baking. So, when I had the opportunity to work with Rhodes for this post I was SUPER pumped! Half the work (and the hardest part) was done for me!
These frozen dinner rolls simply require you to thaw, bake and serve. I CAN DO THAT and SO CAN YOU. You guys, these golden pillows of fluffiness took this chicken dish to the next level. My kids were obsessed with them and you wanna know the best part? I only had to make as many as needed! The rest can live in the freezer until I’m ready! Serious game changer.
You know I’m all about making food from scratch. But I’m always looking for quick and easy shortcuts to up the game just a bit. And these rolls are it!
So go ahead and whip up this citrusy, juicy and flavorful chicken dish. Then soak it up with some fresh from the oven bread. They taste homemade, and no-one has to know. ????
This post is sponsored by Rhodes. Thank you for supporting the brands I love.
Citrus Baked Chicken Thighs
- 2.5 - 3 pounds chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 1 meyer lemon
- 1 navel orange
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing on chicken
- 1 head garlic whole, with 1/4 inch of the top sliced off (optional, but adds some extra flavor)
- Rhodes dinner rolls
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- In a small bowl make the spice mixture. Zest the lemon and orange and add to the bowl with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, thyme and red pepper flakes. Mix until well combined.
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of a baking dish. Place the chicken thighs in the dish, skin side up. Lightly brush more oil on top of chicken then sprinkle evenly with the spice mixture.
- Thinly slice the lemon and orange and arrange in the dish around and under the chicken. Add the head of garlic to the dish and bake for 35-40 minutes until crispy on top.
- Serve with Rhodes dinner rolls to soak up all the citrusy sauce! Follow directions on the package for how to thaw and bake.