Hey there summer. Why you moving so fast? How are we already a weekend away from August, and a short month left until school, fall, and the holidays!? Honestly, it’s a little frightening, and I’m not sure how much I like being an “adult” and telling younger people, “It goes by so fast”, but now I get it! I get why my parents and grandparents always said that to me, and still do. BECAUSE IT DOES!
Sorry, I’m just having a mini meltdown with all the change that’s going on around here. My youngest baby is start preschool, we don’t need my nanny as much (if at all), someone who’s been with our family almost every day for over 2 years, and I’m already having to think about planning recipes for the holidays! PLEASE TIME, SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!
Ok. I’m done crying now. Let’s talk about this salad. It’s everything I love about summer. Well, not everything. But a lot of things. Especially peaches. PEACHES! Peaches make me smile, and they’re SO good in this simple salad with roasted beets and crunchy chickpeas.
My obsession of the week is roasting chickpeas. Have you done it? You need to. It’s as simple as tossing some canned garbanzo beans with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices and popping them in the oven until crisp. They’re everything on this salad.
So before summer officially comes to an end, grab your ripest peach and savor every last moment.
It goes so fast.
- 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 ripe peaches (sliced)
- 2 medium beets (roasted and sliced)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2–3 handfuls of greens (spinach, or mixed greens)
For the Herb Dressing
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or lime)
- Large handful of fresh herbs (I used mostly parsley, basil, and a little thyme and mint)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay garbanzo beans on a paper towel and gently blot to dry. Add them to a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and chili powder. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- 2) Lay the greens in a shallow bowl and top with sliced peaches, beets, and top with garbanzo beans and goat cheese.
For the Herb Dressing
- 1) In a blender add the onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, herbs, olive oil, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Pour over salad, just enough to coat. Store any remaining dressing in the fridge.
* To make roasted beets, wrap individually in foil, and bake in 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes until tender. You should be able to easily pierce through the center with a knife. When cool enough to handle, peel away skins and slice. You can do this ahead of time and store in the fridge.
I LOVE when you make my recipes, and I want to see your final creations! Make sure you hashtag #lifeisbutadish or tag me @lifeisbutadish on Instagram, so I can join the party!