“Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan you feeeeeeeeel the loooooooooove toniiiiiiiiiiiiight? (Toniiiight)”
Happy almost Valentine’s Day! What are you thoughts on V-day? I’m kinda indifferent by the time this “holiday” rolls around. At this point I’ve just finished celebrating 8-9 different occasions from Thanksgiving, to Hannukah, to New Years, to our anniversary, my kids birthday, my birthday, my husbands birthday, etc… So when Valentine’s Day hits, I’m kinda done.
To take the pressure off ourselves, we’ve created a tradition of no gifts, and In-N-Out for dinner. It works perfectly for us, and everybody wins. However, I will use any excuse to make celebratory chocolate cupcakes.
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day, I made you these.
“Isn’t she looooooooovely?”
It’s only my most favorite ever chocolate cake recipe in the world! And, it’s hardly a recipe. I’ll tell you a little secret. I used a box mix. DON’T HATE ME!
Or maybe that makes some of you love me more?
Either way, I doctor up a box mix to create the most light and fluffy chocolate cupcake recipe ever created.
- 1 chocolate box cake mix, like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water, at room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Mini chocolate chips for topping (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 oz container marshmallow creme (fluff)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1) Preheat oven according to box directions. Fill cupcake tin with liners and set aside. In a large bowl pour the cake mix, eggs, water, butter, and mayonnaise, and using a hand mixer blend until well combined.
- 2) Bake according to the box. About 18-20 minutes for cupcakes.
- 3) Once baked, place cupcakes on a cooling rack and cool completely.
- 4) Once cooled, frost with marshmallow buttercream frosting and top with mini chocolate chips.
- 1) Using a hand mixer, blend together the butter and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend until thick, but do not over-beat.